This is real life. The truth is, I'm not that great at it. But this is it, and it is my life. You want me to post pictures of what I wear every day? You'd have a collaboration of different yoga pants, and oversized t-shirts--some worn multiple days in a row {cringe}! You want to know my toddler lunch meal ideas? They often vary between dino nuggets, pb&j, or ravioli--but hey, at least it's the frozen kind and not Chef Boyardee...although that has made a few appearances! You want pictures of my home decor? Well my house is usually a mess. There are dishes in the sink and laundry to be put away. Most days, with my two crazy sidekicks calling the shots, I don't have time to shower, and rarely even do my hair {am I really admitting this in a public forum?!}! But this is life, and it is my life. And I'm lucky enough to get to share it with an amazing husband and the 3 cutest kids in the world, so no matter how you look it, I'm the luckiest!

Thursday, January 22, 2009

"Called to Serve"







Called to serve Him,
Heavenly King of Glory,
Chosen e're to witness for His name,

Far and wide we tell the Father's story,
Far and wide his love proclaim...



My sweet and amazing nephew Jett entered the MTC yesterday to begin his mission, serving the Lord for the next 2 years. I am so incredibly proud of him for all he is and all he is doing. He truly is a wonderful guy! I am already missing him!

He and I have always been especially close and whenever he introduces me to any of his friends he introduces me as his sister. Through him I finally was able to get the younger sibling I never had. :) He is an awesome listener and honestly remembers more about my life than I do. He continually surprises me when he reminds me about things I've done, boys I've dated, or things I've said that I don't remember at all. He was always my personal therapist all through my high school years. :) I remember one day taking him to a BYU football game my freshman year and running into some people he knew. They said they could tell we were related because we looked so much alike, especially our noses and eyebrows! I don't know what it is about our eyebrows but we never hear the end of how we have the same eyebrows! (WEIRD!) The thing is, we're not biologically related at all. He was 11 when his dad married my sister and was later adopted by my her. I cannot imagine what life would be like without him and his brothers and dad in our family. I am so thankful for them all!

I know Jettie will be an amazing missionary. He will be serving in the Lima North mission in Peru. I am so excited for him and the experiences and blessings he will be receiving. He was so stressed and sad about leaving his family for 2 years as he is very protective of all of his younger siblings. He has helped them in so many ways throughout their lives and had always been an example to them. I've kept reminding him of the blessings that even they will receive because of his righteousness in serving a full-time mission and I think we may have already seen those blessings in action.

Night before last Jett was scheduled to be set apart as a missionary at 9PM. Just a couple of hours before that his brother James was at play practice when, during a break, a girl asked him and his friend if they'd like to go and get some food with her. They happily obliged and jumped in the car. As she was driving they were making a left turn at a stoplight and were rammed into on the passenger's side by an oncoming car. James was sitting in the passenger's seat. The airbags deployed and the car was totaled. It turns out that the girl driving was only 15 years of age and had borrowed the car from another friend at play practice. James and his friend were unaware of this. Had the oncoming car hit even a few inches differently, it is believed that James would not be with us today, but instead he was able to miraculously walk away from the accident with only a small scratch and a very painful head--we think from the impact of the airbag. Although extremely shook-up and in pain, he was able to be with Jett and the family as he was set apart as a missionary. We are all blessed by this tender mercy from the Lord.

As for Jett, I know he is doing the right thing and I truly am amazingly proud of him. I miss him a ton and love him immensely! GOOD LUCK JETTIE!

4 comments:

Jessica Adams said...

That's awesome! Justin went to the Lima South mission and loved it!

Unknown said...

Thanks Heather! You are a very loving sister and I have to agree with you about Jett's dad. He is truly awesome!

angela said...

This is a great post Heather. We just got the map of the Lima North mission in the mail from your mom. Very exciting!

Powell Family said...

I just wrote my first letter to Jettie on DearElder.com it was pretty nifty.
love,
Krittie (huh, doesn't really work for me, kind of sounds vulgar.)