This is real life. The truth is, I'm not that great at it. But this is it, and it is my life. You want me to post pictures of what I wear every day? You'd have a collaboration of different yoga pants, and oversized t-shirts--some worn multiple days in a row {cringe}! You want to know my toddler lunch meal ideas? They often vary between dino nuggets, pb&j, or ravioli--but hey, at least it's the frozen kind and not Chef Boyardee...although that has made a few appearances! You want pictures of my home decor? Well my house is usually a mess. There are dishes in the sink and laundry to be put away. Most days, with my two crazy sidekicks calling the shots, I don't have time to shower, and rarely even do my hair {am I really admitting this in a public forum?!}! But this is life, and it is my life. And I'm lucky enough to get to share it with an amazing husband and the 3 cutest kids in the world, so no matter how you look it, I'm the luckiest!

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Overdue and Induction (opinions welcome)

So today is my due date. Actually, according to my doctor, yesterday was my due date so I guess technically I am overdue (although some people say you're not technically overdue until week 42 which I think is CRAZY, but whatever). Anyway, I never imagined that I wouldn't have a baby yet...time is dragging by soooo slowly.

I went to the doctor yesterday and I am still 70% effaced but not dialated at all. On Friday he said, "You must like being pregnant." Cause there's really not much of anything happening. He also told me on Friday that he thinks the baby is probably 8-8.5 lbs already. He said that she'll grow about half a pound or so each week after that. So, on Tuesday, because I am still not progressing, he set me up to be induced. My induction date is next Tues, starting with the Cervidil the night before and Petocin Tuesday morning.

I am super nervous though and am really weary of what I should do. Some people say my chances for c-section go up 40% with induction. I really really don't want to have a c-section. I know it's always a possibility but I want to do all I can to prevent it if possible. But then again, if the baby is already close to 9 lbs. I am sure my chances for c-section also go up with the more she grows. Also, I know that they can have skin problems the longer they're in after 40 weeks and considering the genetic tendency towards skin issues in Mike's family I don't want to make things more risky as far as that goes but I don't know of any medical evidence to support that. Anyway, I just want opinions from anyone and everyone who has an opinion! :) If anyone has ever had a Cervidil induction I'd love to hear your thoughts.

8 comments:

Taren said...

My mom is an labor and delivery RN and she's all for being induced! I'm not sure about c-sections, but I've never heard that. 40% seems like a huge percentage too. Good luck! I'm excited for you!

angela said...

I am almost (ALMOST) not going to post this publicly, but I would love to hear if anyone else's experience was similar to mine. I did the whole cervedil-pitocin routine with E. Having that cervedil placed was one of the WORST experiences of my whole life. I cried through the entire thing. And then they replaced it 12 hrs later with another one because the first one didn't do anything. Ugh. Pitocin was a freaking cake walk after the cervedil. HOWEVER - as you know - I never dilated enough after 24 hrs of pitocin and my bp kept going up, so - c/section.

I will say, I never in my life wanted a section - but it was not a very big deal. There are just as many awful vaginal birth stories as there are awful c/s stories. You just can't know exactly what will happen, and you PRAY LIKE CRAZY for the best. :> I have a feeling that your birth is going to be a very good one, however she comes out. We are certainly praying for you both (and for Mike's sanity throughout) - we love you!

Angie said...

I've been induced every single time and it was fine every single time. I actually prefer to be induced. With my first pregnancy I was like you and didn't dialate hardly at all. When I went in to get induced I was dialated to a fingertip (less than a 1) and my doctor freaked me out saying that I would probably have a long labor and that a c-section was probable. He was so wrong and I had a 6 hour labor with no complications. So don't let them freak you out. You'll be fine. Also, I don't think any doctor can predict the weight of your baby. They try but they don't really know. With my 3rd baby my doctor told me he'd probably be around 7 pounds and he was 8 lbs 12 oz. And then there's my 10 1/2 pound baby I had last month. No one had any idea he'd be that big or they would have gotten him out much earlier. So don't worry. There's always those horror stories but it's more likely that your induction will turn out great.

Angie said...

I wasn't induced with cervidil though, so I don't know about that.

Susie Chadwick said...

I was induced with Pitocin both times. No big deal. They say being induced hurts more, but I guess I wouldn't know the difference. I have never heard that makes your chances of C-section go up, and I think 40% is outrageous too. I really didn't want a c-section either, but make sure you know what to expect so it will freak you out less if you do have one.

One nice thing about being induced is that you are in the hospital the entire time you're laboring. At least, I thought that was nice - none of this "is it time yet?"
Also, I think doctors are mean when they make you think your baby will come on your due date.

Taren said...

k, i'll ask her tonight! and then get back to you via text ;) if you don't hear from me text me so i don't forget!

Danelle and Alex said...

I was induced and I loved it. I think even if it makes labor a little bit harder that is like a couple hours of misery compared to endless misery if you don't know when you are ever going to have a baby. At the end an extra hour is miserable! When you are induced it is so exciting knowing that you really are having a baby the next day.
I have never heard 40 percent before, so I dont know about that. I had a c-section though and it wasn't that bad. Plus you get to stay in the hospital for like four extra days and I LOVED being in the hospital! Good luck!!

Dustin, Heather and Gavin said...

So here is my opinion on induction.
As PCT, I worked on the Labor and Delivery floor. I do know that being induced does increase your chances of a c-section. But the 40%
I don't know, if it is that high, but it may be. I do know that induction, can make your labor harder, your making your body do something that it isn't quite ready for, your body will do this when it's ready. Your 70% effaced, most women do not start to dilated until 80% effacement, especially on first time mothers. Also the recovery time with a c-section is 2 weeks longer than a vaginal birth. Although, I know it isn't comfortable being this far along in pregnancy. I would at least give your body a week after your due date.

She is just getting her last counsel, from Heavenly Father before her big jump down from Heaven.

I love ya Girl! Your going to be a Great MOMMY! It doesn't matter how she gets here! You both will do awesome on your labor day! Remember your a woman and you were made to do this!

NO WAY COULD A MAN DO THIS!!!

I'm keep you in my prayers!
-Heather