This is real life. The truth is, I'm not that great at it. But this is it, and it is my life. You want me to post pictures of what I wear every day? You'd have a collaboration of different yoga pants, and oversized t-shirts--some worn multiple days in a row {cringe}! You want to know my toddler lunch meal ideas? They often vary between dino nuggets, pb&j, or ravioli--but hey, at least it's the frozen kind and not Chef Boyardee...although that has made a few appearances! You want pictures of my home decor? Well my house is usually a mess. There are dishes in the sink and laundry to be put away. Most days, with my two crazy sidekicks calling the shots, I don't have time to shower, and rarely even do my hair {am I really admitting this in a public forum?!}! But this is life, and it is my life. And I'm lucky enough to get to share it with an amazing husband and the 3 cutest kids in the world, so no matter how you look it, I'm the luckiest!

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Potsticker Heaven

Tonight I was bummed.  I had a fun Halloween planned for us and found out at the last minute that Mike had to go work with his school group on a project all night.  :(  I shed a few tears and hoped I could make the best of it.  I enjoyed answering the door to Trick-or-Treaters (at least the ones who braved the treacherous weather conditions) and playing with my sweet Melia (dressed in a cute witch costume).  By the time I put her in bed, I'd realized I hadn't eaten dinner (don't worry, I did feed her, but her --I'll be honest, her tasteless "pasta wheel pickups" weren't doing it for me) I guess having my stomach full of Diet Pepsi had made me forget the necessity of real food for myself.  I searched through the pantry, fridge and freezer for something that looked tasty.  I finally decided to crack open the bag of Ling Ling Potstickers that'd been taking up space in my freezer for a while now.  I fried them up and it took me about 3x as long as the directions say to complete cooking them, but they smelled delicious the whole time.  Finally once I was sure Melia was asleep and I could eat in peace, I snuggled up on the couch, turned on Project Runway and bit in.


Have you ever taken a bite of something and felt like you were swept away?  All of the sudden, it was just me, and my potsticker.  All of my taste buds were alive as I slowly chewed this delectable piece of pure satisfaction.  My stomach churned with the desire for more as I continued to eat.  This luscious bite of Chinese goodness was just what I needed.  I didn't even bust out the "savory dipping sauce;" their deliciousness was it's own savory perfection. 

I wouldn't say I am a "foodie" by any means.  I'm actually not a big fan of most foods.  I'm not a chocolate lover.  I don't love desserts.  I'd much rather eat a rice krispy treat than most other desserts.  Chocolate truffle?  Apple pie?  Better-than-sex cake?  Naah.  I'd rather eat a dinner roll.  That's not to say I don't like to eat.  I love to eat.  Heck, look at me, my baby is 11 months old, I can hardly blame all the weight on her anymore.  But I rarely find something that seems to sweep me away like tonight.  The last time I can remember was when I ate teriyaki sea bass in Miami a little less than a year ago.  Just thinking about it makes my mouth water.  That was a whole new experience in food for me; I'd never had anything like it before.  Mmmm! 


I guess you could say I am a generally picky eater and most of the stuff I do like is salty, fatty junk food.  I'm not much of a food connoisseur unless we're talking about macaroni and cheese.  As a child my parents would take me to nice fancy restaurants, and I'd always order the grilled cheese sandwich off the kid's menu.  (Okay, when I say "as a child," I mean when I was 17.)  These days my food-of-choice at most fancy restaurants is macaroni and cheese.  Believe it or not, most of them do have that option on the menu somewhere.  :)  When I went to the well renowned Gotham Steakhouse at the Fontainebleau hotel in Miami Beach, I ordered their Applewood Smoked Bacon Macaroni and Cheese (costing $12 for a minuscule bowl).  I'll be honest, it wasn't as good as Kraft; but their Lemon and Olive Oil Grilled Asparagus was pretty delish.  :)  I've found that most of them cannot compare to Kraft, surprisingly.  But I did have a really tasty dish of it one time and some fancy restaurant...unfortunately I cannot remember where.  If you happen to find a mouthwatering dish of mac and cheese at a restaurant, definitely let me know!  :)

At any rate, the whole point of this post was just to say I ate really yummy potstickers tonight.  :) Perhaps it was just that I fried them in oil--which up until now I have never cooked anything that way because I am abnormally afraid of fire (like deathly terrified) and it freaks me out to cook with oil.  Luckily I managed not to burn the house down, and because of my little "getaway" into food-heaven, my lonely Halloween wasn't so bad!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love those pot stickers. so yummy!!! glad the food could sweep you away:) and i should have called ya! next time i will.

Sally Williams said...

Ummm...You should have brought Melia over. I should have called you. But I'm glad you had yummy food to eat. I couldn't keep my hands out of the candy bowl.

Kirbell said...

Yum! I'd totally share a bag with you...no one likes those at my house except me.

Katie Hagen said...

i love ling ling pot stickers! i get giant bags at costo...
if i had known you were into project runway we could have had a finale party together! :) i was really bummed that mondo lost though, i never liked gretchen.