This is real life. The truth is, I'm not that great at it. But this is it, and it is my life. You want me to post pictures of what I wear every day? You'd have a collaboration of different yoga pants, and oversized t-shirts--some worn multiple days in a row {cringe}! You want to know my toddler lunch meal ideas? They often vary between dino nuggets, pb&j, or ravioli--but hey, at least it's the frozen kind and not Chef Boyardee...although that has made a few appearances! You want pictures of my home decor? Well my house is usually a mess. There are dishes in the sink and laundry to be put away. Most days, with my two crazy sidekicks calling the shots, I don't have time to shower, and rarely even do my hair {am I really admitting this in a public forum?!}! But this is life, and it is my life. And I'm lucky enough to get to share it with an amazing husband and the 3 cutest kids in the world, so no matter how you look it, I'm the luckiest!

Saturday, April 17, 2010

"Shake Your Bon Bon"

by Ricky Martin

I wanna be your lover, your only latin lover.
We'll go around the world in a day.
Don't say no, no.
Shake it my way, oh shake your bon-bon,
Shake your bon-bon, shake your bon-bon!



Well Ricky, my darling, I wanted you to be my only latin lover too, but I guess that will never happen. Although my heart is broken, I guess I finally have to truly accept it.


But don't worry Ricky, whether you love me or not, I'll keep shaking my bon bon to your music until my dying day! :)


As soon as I heard Ricky had come out I immediately called my mom. When I told her my "life long love" had come out of the closet she squealed, "OH NO!" Her reaction was so big I then asked what she thought I was talking about. She then responded by asking if one of my high school boyfriends (who will remain nameless) was gay. Lol. I think she was more sad though when I told her it wasn't him, it was Ricky.


I first set eyes on Ricky performing "The Cup of Life" at the 1999 Grammy Awards. Almost no one in America knew his name yet, but I was smitten. (Pretty sure my mom was too.) At any rate, I became like any other smitten teen. I had his calendar on my wall and my sister even got me a signed poster of him. It said "To Heather, all my love! Ricky". Here's a picture of teenage me in my bedroom by my Ricky Martin shrine poster.
I had the bulletin board in my bedroom splattered with pictures of Ricky and even my glow sticks from his concert. (Ignore all the brand tags, I guess I was a little overly obsessed with brand names too. Good thing that wore off or Mike would never had been able to handle me.)


I guess I should've known, and perhaps deep down I always did. Thinking of the two men sitting behind me at his concert proclaiming their love for him and his beauty, or even just judging from this picture of him from my calendar...yes, I had a feeling, but I refused to admit it, especially to all those boys in jr. high and high school who always insisted I was wrong. But then when these two little ones were born, I thought perhaps I'd been right all along, although I'll admit I was a little surprised.

When the news story of his "coming out" was released, I got a message on my Facebook from one of those high school boy friends who used to mock me for my love of all things Ricky. He said, "You owe me $1000." Well, I guess they were right all along.

After getting home from work and seeing me sitting on the couch in misery Mike quickly ran to the bedroom. Moments later I heard the first notes of "Livin' la Vida Loca" blasting from the stereo. Then Mike came back out from the room, dancing for me in his underwear.

Ricky who?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, that is sooooo Funny! I must edmit my latin lover is Enrique and if he comes out i might actually shed a tear. Cohwen and i would always sing "hero" when we were dating. EMBERASSING but true. Man, i cant believe your latin lover is now batting for the other team, but i will share mine with you:)

Nancy said...

Sorry for you loss...but the story with Mike is too funny!

Kirbell said...

Ha-ha!! Hilarious! Although I'm not sure I need that image of mike in my head...hee-hee!

Perry's said...

I agree. I always loved him. I had a poster on my wall. My dad would always tell me to take it down because he was gay. I didn't believe him. I told him he was just jealous. But that is so sad that he came out.
But you now have Mike and he is better for you then any Ricky.

Rebecah Ogden said...

now every time i see mike at church i'm going to picture him dancing in his underwear to ricky martin! :) also didn't ricky make his start as a broadway star in les mes? i think that's where I remember him from first

meganjjp said...

heath! i am cracking up! you are so funny, mike rocks!!! you left the last part out for me, haha. what if I can't narrow down which "boyfriend" your mom meant...? i have a guess though.

Jackman Family said...

LOL that's awesome! I saw a poster of my cousins band by Ricky's poster their band was eye to eyel so funny! My favorite part though is that your hubby came out dancing to ricky's song that's awesome!

angela said...

Heather, you are a riot. Although I well remember your HUGE and seemingly unending crush on Justin Timberlake (he was the one you liked, right?) and the whole NSYNC thing.

In your honor, I played "Shake Your Bon Bon" in its entirety for your nieces and they were soooooo cute, shaking their tiny little bottoms. Wish I had videoed it.

And Mike is the perfect husband, seriously.

wuxiheather said...

Just for the record, I did NOT have an unending crush on Justin Timberlake! Yes, I admit, I LOVED *N Sync, but it was JC Chasez who I had the crush on from there and that crush never compared to my love for Ricky! :)