This is real life. The truth is, I'm not that great at it. But this is it, and it is my life. You want me to post pictures of what I wear every day? You'd have a collaboration of different yoga pants, and oversized t-shirts--some worn multiple days in a row {cringe}! You want to know my toddler lunch meal ideas? They often vary between dino nuggets, pb&j, or ravioli--but hey, at least it's the frozen kind and not Chef Boyardee...although that has made a few appearances! You want pictures of my home decor? Well my house is usually a mess. There are dishes in the sink and laundry to be put away. Most days, with my two crazy sidekicks calling the shots, I don't have time to shower, and rarely even do my hair {am I really admitting this in a public forum?!}! But this is life, and it is my life. And I'm lucky enough to get to share it with an amazing husband and the 3 cutest kids in the world, so no matter how you look it, I'm the luckiest!

Friday, September 17, 2010

"Stays in Mexico"

by Toby Keith

What happens down in Mexico,
Stays in Mexico.

Today is a sad day.

When I was 18 years old and had just graduated from high school I took my "senior trip" to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.  I went with my best friend Megan, and both our moms.  It was an unforgettable trip.  Not only did Megan and I have the TIME OF OUR LIVES, but our moms became such good friends on the trip that they have since gone back with their husbands!  The trip really was SO MUCH FUN and I would not have wanted to share it with anyone else!

On the vacation I FELL IN LOVE!  I fell in love with the SUN, the SAND, the SEA, the ARCHITECTURE, the RAIN, the PEOPLE, the FOOD, the ATMOSPHERE, and, of course, a random Mexican man...but that is a whole other story!

Megan and I had such a good time, we didn't want to leave.  We made a promise to eachother that if we were both still single in 2 years time that we would come back there together.  It was a little up in the air if we were going to come back on another vacation or possibly MOVE there.  :)  We started saving our money immediately.  I started transferring between 20 and 100 dollars a month into my savings account for that very purpose.

Life went on.  I met Mike, moved to China, got engaged, moved back to China, and so on.  After a year or so I stopped transferring the money into the savings account, however, I never used the money I had already transferred.  To this day I still have not touched that money and now it is up over $700 dollars.  That might not be enough to MOVE to Mexico, but it could've made a pretty good trip--or at least paid for airfare!  :)

Because I was working, Mike and I always just kept separate bank accounts.  Since having Melia I have not worked and slowly but surely my checking account has withered down to nothing.  Today I needed to pay off some bills online and realized that I didn't have enough in my checking account to do so.  Heaven forbid, I had to dip into my "Mexico savings" account.  Considering I am married with children, I guess that it's time I let go of old dreams, but I must say old dreams die hard!  :)  I still want to go back to Puerto Vallarta, it was so much fun.  Maybe this time with Megan AND our husbands!

If you get a chance to visit Puerto Vallarta, be sure to take the Vallarta Adventures day cruise to Las Calletas.  I must say it was the most romantic location I've ever been in and for a split second I did wish I was sharing it with a man rather than my mom and best friend.  :)  I guess Mike and I will just have to go back and share it together some day.  Maybe I'll start saving today!  :)

New "Mexico savings" account, HERE I COME!  Meg, are you in?!

5 comments:

meganjjp said...

heath!!! Of course I am in! Old dreams don't have to die to hard. (well, other than the fact we cant move there) I think we keep our young memories alive every time we hang out!!! it is just one of the reasons I love you so much!! We will get back, I am sure of it! and it wont be the last place we travel together either!

Anonymous said...

ah yes...the dipping into the savings account issue. i have been there. Sadly my savings is like at the lowest it possibly can be right now. lol. Co and i have a HUGE jug full of change we want to use to go to Europe...and we have been sooo tempted to dip into it with all our financial ups and downs. Luckily we havent and hopefully we can go one day. I really hope you get to go back some time. It sounds amazing and every married couple needs a 2nd honeymoon i always say:)

Jen Herem said...

Heather.. yes I think we danced together at stars I danced there for like a million years!! Thanks for your sweet compliments on my blog! you family is so cute! hope all is well and keep in touch!!!

xoxo

Emily said...

"random Mexican man" Ha ha ha ha. Heather, you kill me.

Em Elle Oh said...

He was so not random, that Mexican man you fell for. I distinctly remember you telling me for quite some time about that guy. He sounded, well...hot. Haha.