This is real life. The truth is, I'm not that great at it. But this is it, and it is my life. You want me to post pictures of what I wear every day? You'd have a collaboration of different yoga pants, and oversized t-shirts--some worn multiple days in a row {cringe}! You want to know my toddler lunch meal ideas? They often vary between dino nuggets, pb&j, or ravioli--but hey, at least it's the frozen kind and not Chef Boyardee...although that has made a few appearances! You want pictures of my home decor? Well my house is usually a mess. There are dishes in the sink and laundry to be put away. Most days, with my two crazy sidekicks calling the shots, I don't have time to shower, and rarely even do my hair {am I really admitting this in a public forum?!}! But this is life, and it is my life. And I'm lucky enough to get to share it with an amazing husband and the 3 cutest kids in the world, so no matter how you look it, I'm the luckiest!

Friday, February 20, 2015

A Bun is In the Oven

Back at the end of August I posted this picture on Instagram.  The reactions were pretty great.  A lot of people didn't get it, and others, who did, were freaking out.  But the best part of it was the actual story behind it.

A few weeks prior, I'd snatched this bun at a barbecue at my parents house.  I put it in a ziplock in the freezer and hid it so I'd have it when I was ready to use it.  (My sister-in-law, Amber, had done something similar at my in-laws house a few years ago when she was expecting and I thought it was so cute and clever, I had to do it too.)

So we were at my parents' for family dinner.  Dinner was over and most of the family was in the family room watching something on TV.  Mike and Stephanie were in the kitchen working on Steph's homework, but they were too engrossed to notice what I was doing.  I got the bun out, snuck it into the oven, turned on the oven light to be sure they'd notice the bun, and left the room.  But no one noticed.  So I came back and set the buzzer for 5 minutes so it'd go off and someone would have to notice it.  Then I left the room again.  I waited and when the buzzer went off my mom went into the kitchen, turned off the buzzer, turned off the light, and went back to the family room.  UGH!  So I went and set the buzzer again but this time for three minutes.  Then I left the room again.  This time when it went off my mom started shouting something about grandkids messing with the buzzer.  She turned it off again.  Once again I set the timer, but for only one minutes.  This time when it went off, my mom went in to the kitchen proclaiming, "SOMETHING IS WRONG!"  She called Kristy in and told her the oven was broken and that there must be a short because the light keeps turning on the the buzzer keeps going off.  They STILL had not noticed the bun in the oven!  Lol!  So Kristy comes out to check it out and they start speculating about whether or not it's broken or if one of the grandkids is messing with it.  Kristy opens the oven and notices the bun in the oven.  Then they are super confused.  So then my mom starts yelling about the grandkids and Kristy reaches in and touches the bun and notices it's freezing cold.  My mom starts yelling, "Who put a bun in the oven?  Who put a bun in the oven?  WHO PUT A BUN IN THE OVEN?!"  At this moment Kristy starts to realize SOMETHING is going on, but it still takes her a minute.  She starts to say, "A bun in the oven..." and then it hits her.  "HEATHER??!  HEATHER!!!"  I came out laughing my head off and my mom still had not figured out what on earth was going on.  My mom says, "DID YOU DO THIS??!"  I was nodding and laughing and Kristy starts squealing and hugging me.  Stephanie is just laughing like crazy and finally Kristy says, "MOM!  Heather has a BUN in the OVEN!"  Then my mom starts squealing too.  Lol.

It was a pretty good announcement.

Speaking of which, back in July, we had an appointment to see the dentist.  I'd been feeling weird and hadn't had my period for MONTHS, but life had been crazy and I thought it was just from all the stress.  I knew they were going to want to do x-rays at the dentist so before we headed out I decided to quickly take a pregnancy test just for peace of mind.  When it was positive I was stunned.  We weren't trying to get pregnant, by any means, and were actually actively preventing it.  (TMI I know...)  But there it was.  Positive.  The kids and I went to the dentist and met Mike there.  When they called me back for x-rays I went back because I didn't want to tell Mike yet.  I quietly told the nurse and they let me sit back there for a while before going back out the waiting room so Mike would think I got x-rays.  I waited a while and then they said I could go back out.  When I went out Mike was like, "Did they do the x-rays?  That was really fast."  UGH!  I didn't want to LIE, but I just nodded.  :)

After going to the dentist I went straight to the grocery store and bought more pregnancy tests.  I just could not believe that it was even possible.  So I took another test at home and it was positive too.

That night when Mike got home from work I asked him if he wanted to play Bananagrams with me.  He was confused because he knows I love Bananagrams, but we never play at home.  But he lovingly obliged and we started playing.  I had picked out my letters so I could do what I was planning before hand.  So we started playing and I spelled out "IMPREGNANT."  Then I called "peel" a few times and we kept playing (he hadn't noticed).  After a while I said "BANANAS!" (Which means I win.)  He was like, "There are still tiles."  He was so confused but I just wanted him to read my tiles!  So he was looking at me like I was crazy, or just super stupid, and I said, "READ MY TILES!"  So he got up and confusedly said, "That's not a word!"  It took him a minute and he finally realized what it was supposed to be saying.  He was like, "Wait...seriously?"  He was still super confused and didn't believe it at all (because like I said, it was SO not planned, and was actually being prevented).  I started laughing and said yes, and he still hardly believed me.  It took him a minute and then he was like, "ARE YOU SERIOUS??!  SERIOUSLY?!"  He was excited--but I am sure quite shocked.  A few weeks previous I had said to him that I hadn't had my period in a while and he acted like I was being RIDICULOUS and said, "You're NOT pregnant."  I said, "I know, I just think there's something wrong."  Turns out, I WAS pregnant.  :)

Oddly enough, even though it'd been almost 3 months since I'd had a period, when I went into the doctor, they did an ultrasound and I was only 6 weeks along.  The whole thing makes no sense at all, which only leaves me to conclude it is all in God's hands.  He obviously has a different plan for us than we'd originally had.  I don't know if I ever would've dared actually "try" to get pregnant because I was so terrified to face postpartum depression like I'd had after Melia and especially after Evera was born.  So perhaps this is the only way our family could grow, as apparently it needed to.  While I am still absolutely terrified for what seems to be the inevitable, I am excited to meet this sweet baby girl who is now coming in only a few short weeks.  Melia and Evera are beyond thrilled to be getting a baby sister and I know they're going to be the best, most loving siblings EVER.

This little girl is a crazy one, and is incredibly strong.  Sometimes I wonder if she's a vampire (Renesme anyone?) because she kicks so hard I think she's going to bust herself out of my abdomen.  :)  Evera was a nut when he was in utero and kicked like crazy, almost never moving.  This little girl moves just about as much as he did and is significantly stronger.  Seeing how after birth, Evera's constant movements still never stopped, it'll be interesting to see what a crazy thing this little girl is!  :)

We're excited to meet our sweet baby Aria soon!

We considered a lot of names for her including but not limited to:  Liliana, Annelise, Gabriella, Noelle, Aria, Katryna, Anika, Lila, and Mikelle.  I loved Noelle and Mike really liked Gabriella.  Melia was DEAD SET on naming her Annelise after one of the girls in one of the Barbie movies she loved, and Evera wanted to name her Anika after a different Barbie movie.  Lol.  After much thought though, we all came to agreement that we all like Aria.  Perhaps that will change when she is born and she just won't be an "Aria," but for now that's what we're calling her.

1 comment:

Haylee said...

That is the funniest story! I could totally imagine my mom doing the same thing and getting really annoyed with her oven! ha ha!